The Sugar Land area was used as a sugar plantation during the mid-1800s and remains the headquarters of the Imperial Sugar Company, hence the name. Incorporated in 1959, it is the largest city in Fort Bend County, with the third largest population in the Houston area. Sugar Land is considered one of the most affluent cities in Texas today.
Sugar Land has gone a long way since its agricultural beginnings and is now one of the most cosmopolitan areas in the region. There’s a plethora of different activities to discover in Sugar Land, whether you’re into sports, the arts, shopping, dining, or sightseeing.
- Sugar Land has a total population of nearly 84,000 permanent residents.
- The city encompasses a total area of almost 25 square miles. Around 560 acres of those is developed parkland.
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science in Sugar Land houses one of the most extensive collections of fossils in the U.S.
- Sugar Land has two professional minor league sports teams: The Sugar Land Skeeters (baseball) and the Sugar Land Imperials (hockey).
- Parks in Sugar Land Include City Park, Lost Creek Park, Duhacsek Park, Eldridge Park, and First Colony Park.
- The community features 32 shopping regions and more than 900 shopping and dining districts. Popular shopping destinations include Lake Pointe Town Center, Market at Town Center, Sugar Land Town Square, and First Colony Mall.
- Sugar Land is home to the Wharton County Junior College and the University of Houston-Sugar Land.
Sugar Land TX Real Estate
Thinking about moving to Sugar Land? There’s a fantastic selection of homes waiting for you in the city. Choices include:
- Cozy two to three-bedroom single-family homes in quiet neighborhoods
- Beautiful traditional-style townhomes close to the Sugar Land Historic District
- Sprawling five-bedroom French estates with luxurious amenities and sweeping views
Residents have called living in Sugar Land “low stress,” admiring it as a “sophisticated and culturally diversified metropolis” and praising the high quality of its schools.