Once the hunting grounds of the Karankawa Native American tribe, the City of Katy was incorporated in 1945. It was named after the MKT (Missouri-Kansas-Texas) Railroad that ran through the area, which was popularly known as “the Katy.”
The city’s old-town Victorian heritage is very much alive to this day, giving the community a unique vintage charm, but with a youthful edge. Here, residents can enjoy pleasant weather, a wide variety of activities and events, top-notch schools, and easy access to Houston.
- Katy covers a total area of approximately 11 square miles, and has a total population of more than 14,000 permanent residents.
- In 2009, Katy was recognized as one of the fastest growing areas in the United States by the Gadberry Group.
- Several big corporations have headquarters in the surrounding areas of Katy. Among them are Igloo Corporation, Academy Sports + Outdoors, BP America, and KBR Inc.
- Due to Katy’s rapidly growing population, several retail centers have been popping up all throughout the city, especially along the Katy Fort Bend Road.
- Katy residents are treated to a year-round calendar of fun events, which include the Rice Harvest Festival, the 4th of July Katy Freedom Celebration, the Folk Life Festival, the Katy ISD FFA Livestock Show & Rodeo, and the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony at Harvest Plaza.
- If you’re looking to learn more about the city’s rich culture and heritage, you can drop by the Katy Heritage Museum, the Katy Veterans Memorial Museum, or the Katy Heritage Park Historical Homes.
Katy TX Real Estate
If you plan on relocating to Katy, a diverse variety of fantastic homes are available in many of the city’s fine neighborhoods. Options include:
- Comfortable three-bedroom bungalows surrounded by wooded acres
- Beautiful two-story homes with elegant neo-traditional features
- Spacious five-bedroom Colonial-style homes looking out on panoramic views
Note that most subdivisions – such as Cinco Ranch and Grand Lakes – are not actually within the city limits of Katy. They are actually just outside it, in the Greater Katy area.
Homes for Sale Katy TX
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.