Katy is a great place to live in. This suburban city gives off a warm and welcoming feeling, thanks to its residents and surroundings. It is home to a very diverse and close-knit community that actively contributes to this growing city. It is also the perfect place for a first-time homebuyer to settle in.
If you’re interested in buying a home in Katy, here’s what you need to know about this thriving city:
- Katy covers more than one area
Katy is located within a tri-county area that dominates Greater West Houston. The city encompasses Harris, Fort Bend, and Waller counties along I-10. There are around 17,000 people currently living in Katy Proper, also known as Old Town Katy and Historic Katy. Surrounding Katy Proper is another area called “the greater Katy area” which has a population of around 200,000 to 300,000. It lies on the east and southeast side of Katy Proper and is mostly comprised of master-planned communities. While the Greater Katy Area is not in the actual City of Katy, it is covered by the Katy Independent School District (Katy ISD).
- Katy has over 30 neighborhoods and subdivisions
In Katy Proper and in the Greater Katy area, there are more than 30 neighborhoods you can call home. Each area is unique when it comes to type of homes, prices, and amenities.
Some of the most well-known neighborhoods in Katy are Cinco Ranch and Firethorne. Cinco Ranch, one of the largest master-planned communities in the Houston area, is known for its resort-style amenities and 18-hole golf course. Firethorne, which is conveniently located along major roads in the Katy area, features beautifully constructed single-family homes.
- Texas has no state income tax
Instead of state income tax, Texas taxes its residents according to the value of their homes. This policy allows homeowners to use their income for other purposes such as a retirement fund, college savings, and credit card payments.
- Homeowners have homestead exemption
Another benefit of living in the State of Texas is utilizing your homestead exemption. This entitles the homeowner to a lower property tax rate, as well as affords protection of their main home in the event of financial hardship. Residents can apply for the exemption, free of charge, by filling out an Application for Residential Homestead Exemption at the nearest appraisal district. More information on the Texas homestead exemption can be found at the Texas Comptroller’s website.
- You are not required to hire an attorney to buy or sell a home in Texas
Unlike other states, Texas believes that real estate agents are more than capable of handling ordinary real estate transactions. For instance, the residential contracts come in a promulgated form issued by the Texas Real Estate Commission, Texas Association of REALTORS® (TAR), and Homes and Rentals (HAR – formerly Houston Association of REALTORS®). However, buyers and sellers are more than free to engage legal counsel.
About the Broker
Armed with dedication and a keen eye for detail that has been developed over 15 years of working in different facets of the real estate and legal industry, Jonathan effectively and passionately helps his clients with all of their real estate needs. Born, raised, and college educated in Houston, Jonathan has a unique advantage through his knowledge of Houston’s distinct neighborhoods. Jonathan has resided in the West Houston area most of his adult life, which gives him first-hand knowledge of the area and its amenities.
Local Roots | Global Reach
Jonathan McNabb has earned multiple real estate professional certifications and designations and is an active member in:
- Member of the Luxury Home Council
- Member of 3 International MLSs
- Member of the Houston Association of Realtors (HAR) – Platinum agent
- Member of the Abilene Association of Realtors (AAOR)
- Member of the Texas Association of Realtors (TAR)
- Member of the National Association of Realtors (NAR)
- Member of the Institute for Luxury Home Marketing
- Member of Hometown Heroes
- Approved Veterans Land Board (VLB) participating REALTOR®
- Cane Island Certified REALTOR®
- Certified Home Marketing Specialist (CHMS)
- Certified Neighborhood Specialist (CNS)
- Luxury Country Clubs™ Preferred Real Estate Specialist for Sweetwater Country Club™
- Member of the Residential Real Estate Council (formerly the Council of Residential Specialists (CRS)) (Candidate)
- VA Certified REALTOR®
- Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation (TSAHC) Participating REALTOR®
- Social Media Pro (SMP)
Real Estate Agent Jonathan McNabb is known not just for his attention to detail and unwavering commitment to his clients’ needs, but also for his unparalleled drive and his in-depth knowledge of West Houston’s various micro-markets and varying trends. His ultimate goal is to deliver the best service possible to his clients.
To learn more about the real estate opportunities in Katy, Texas, browse our exclusive site or contact Jonathan McNabb on his cell at 713.730.5050 or jmcnabb(at)nestahead(dotted)com.
You can also view the currently available homes in Katy by checking out this page.